It’s the most wonderful time of the year… unless you’re a reseller, and it is a week before Christmas, and things are holly jolly hectic!
The holiday season can be difficult to navigate, especially when an influx of orders, gifts, and buyers begging you for delivery in time for the holidays.
Here is your 2023 Reseller Holiday Shipping Guide, with everything you need to know to have a happy holiday season selling on Etsy, eBay, Poshmark, and more! ❄️
Your Holiday Shop: How to Prepare for Holiday Orders
The end of Q4 is a busy time of year for resellers! Set yourself up for success with some of these tips for the holiday season:
Stock Your Stores with Giftables
First, make sure your stores and closets are stocked with your best, giftable pieces. It’s not too late to update your listings with keywords like “gift for him,” “gift for mom,” and “stocking stuffer.” Remember that buyers search this way!
💡 Tip: Most sales directly result from searches performed by buyers. Especially during the holiday season, buyers search for specific things, characters, colors, and gifts. Take a look at your listings and see how you can enhance your SEO and keywording to make your items appear in more relevant searches!
Don’t forget! Secondhand items can be gifted, too! Let’s normalize secondhand gifting. The concept of “thrift to gift” has been emphasized heavily this season by Poshmark, eBay, and Etsy.
Promote Your Holiday Shop
You might also consider adding some promotional language to your listings about how you provide fast shipping! If you’re selling on a marketplace where you can indicate a handling time, set it to the fastest handling possible to entice buyers to purchase with you.
Shorter processing and shipping times can lead to more sales because all of the last-minute shoppers need gifts quickly!
You might also consider extra efforts to promote your items. Etsy Sellers, promoting your holiday shop via Etsy Ads is a great way to make sales! This can also be done on eBay, Depop, or by trying Poshmark’s Promoted Closet. This extra promotion might help to really boost sales!
💡 Tip: Etsy and eBay sellers- you might also consider editing your shipping policies to allow for more shipping options. For example, you might add next-day and expedited service options to your buyers (do not forget to charge accordingly for the upgrade).
Hosting Holiday Sales on Poshmark, eBay, Etsy, and Others
The holidays are the most lucrative time of the year for many sellers, and with Black Friday and Cyber Monday upon us, there is literally no better time to host sales online!
Hosting a sale requires some administration and planning, but a well-orchestrated sale will be very successful. On these days, in particular, buyers are ready to spend money!
We’ve designed your guide to hosting successful Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales on your virtual storefronts. Whether you would like to do something simple like offering a percent off your store, or something a bit fancier like a “BOGO” (Buy-One-Get-One) Sale, we’ve got you covered!
We’ve organized a holiday guide with step-by-step instructions to brainstorming, advertising, and implementing sales across reselling marketplaces. Check out the article Maximizing Black Friday 2023: Reselling Strategies for Maximum Profits for more information!
Holiday Shipping Guide for Resellers
This time of the year, everyone is shopping for holiday gifts and wants them shipped like yesterday…
2023 Holiday Shipping Deadlines- Will My Package Arrive By Christmas?
Here are the 2023 Christmas delivery holiday shipping deadlines for major carriers in the United States:
- You can find the UPS Year-End Holiday Shipping Deadlines here.
- You can find the USPS Holiday Shipping deadlines here.
- You can find the FedEx holiday package deadlines here.
Basically, December 15 is the last day to ship overall for a guaranteed Christmas delivery. But understand that nothing is guaranteed, and often, these deadlines are unmet as the postal services become overwhelmed.
If buyers are asking about the estimated delivery date, you can ensure them that you will ship immediately and refer to the deadlines published. But, do not make promises that you cannot keep. It is most important to stay in communication with buyers, thank them for their patience, and apologize for any unprecedented delay.
💡 Tip: Save time by shipping with marketplace labels instead of opting into shipping on your own. This also provides marketplace protection and insurance, which might be necessary due to the amount of packages lost
Holiday Shipping Packaging Tips
The holidays are the busiest time of the year for all shipping carriers, so be mindful when packaging your items. During the holiday season, items are handled more aggressively and tossed into temporary pop-up storage facilities, which often are not climate-controlled. Your packages might endure some rough conditions and extreme temperatures!
Utilize extra packaging to protect fragile items. Be sure your labels are clearly visible, and you have not taped over barcodes and labels. You do not want anything to hold up your holiday orders that buyers are eager to receive.
💡 Tip: It is recommended to have non-denominational packaging. Remember that not everyone celebrates the same holidays. You might choose to avoid Santa Clause poly mailers, instead opting for something more neutral like snowflakes or snowmen!
We are eager to normalize secondhand gifting for the holiday season! There are so many things that can be purchased secondhand.
Did you know that Poshmark announced at Poshfest that gift cards are coming out just in time for the 2023 holiday season? 🎁
Embrace the Spirit of Secondhand Gifting! This holiday season, shift the focus from traditional gift-giving to the charm of secondhand treasures. Thrifted gifts not only carry a unique story but also contribute to a more sustainable and eco-friendly celebration. Break free from conventional choices and explore the world of pre-loved items.
Join the movement to normalize secondhand gifting, making this season memorable and environmentally conscious. Whether it's vintage fashion, antique decor, or quirky collectibles, thrifted gifts bring one-of-a-kind magic to the holiday exchange, proving that the most cherished presents often come with a touch of nostalgia and a sprinkle of sustainability.
Your Holiday Seller Checklist
In summary, here is your checklist for a holly, jolly selling season:
- Know Your Deadlines: Familiarize yourself with the 2023 holiday shipping deadlines for major carriers like USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Communicate these dates transparently to your customers to manage expectations.
- Communication is Key: Keep an open line of communication with buyers. If asked about estimated delivery dates, refer to the shipping deadlines and assure them of immediate shipment.
- Utilize Marketplace Labels: Save time and provide added protection by using marketplace shipping labels instead of handling shipping independently. This often includes insurance and protection, which are crucial during the busy holiday season.
- Optimize Holiday Packaging: As the holidays come with increased handling and fluctuating temperatures, ensure adequate packaging.
- Diversify Shipping Options: Consider editing your shipping policies to offer various options, including next-day and expedited services. This caters to last-minute shoppers and may lead to increased sales. Of course, ship as quickly as you can!
- Utilize Extra Promotion: Take advantage of marketplace promotional features, such as Etsy Ads, eBay promotions, or Poshmark’s Promoted Closet. Increased visibility during the holiday rush can significantly boost your sales.
- Plan Holiday Sales: Strategically plan and execute holiday sales during peak shopping days like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Whether it's discounts or special offers, a well-orchestrated sale can attract eager buyers ready to spend. Learn more here.
- Thrift to Give! Add a touch of nostalgia and sustainability to your gifting this year by gifting secondhand!
Happy Holidays, Reseller Friends - From everyone here at Team Vendoo ❤️